Tuesday, November 11, 2008

So it's been a while....Move update Phase I

So back in June I mentioned that my office is moving (Phase I), well that is complete. It's wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. A lot of coordinating with vendors to get services delivered. I was dealing mostly with Verizon. I want to thank Donna Moriarity at Verizon for keeping me up to date throughout that entire project. She wasn't even our project manager go figure.

Anyhow we are at two site now about 15 city blocks apart in NYC. We are connected via a 1 gig direct connection. So that new office seems like they are working at the main office still.

A crash course in single mode and multi mode connection. When the curcuit was installed it was a single mode fiber hand off. Now I was very new to single mode and multi mode jargin. It didn't take me long to get my head around it though. I was pressed for time. I got my Cisco 3560's stacked and configured and all I needed was the line connected and away we go. Boy was I wrong. I had about 2 weeks to get that going and wireless with local and guest VLANs working.

I quickly learned that Cisco switches are multi mode and most of the fible cables on the market were multi mode. All the cables we had were in fact multi mode. So I had to act fast and order single mode cables but this was before I realized that the Cisco gear didn't take a direct multi mode connection. So when the cables arrived (one for both ends) the connection still didn't work. Then I figured that there must be a piece of this equation that I was missed. I then found that my gear on both sides need a single mode to multi mode converter transceiver and Gbic. The order was placed and once I got them we were in business. My link was lit and data was flowing like a river. Everything worked perfectly. Phones across the link, data, emails, printing perfect. My VLAN's were all configured without issues ;)

So now I burned though a week with all the back and forth ordering so I'm left with less than a week before the move and the wireless was installed yet. We mounted the AP's and installed the WLAN controller. We got a guy in to do it for us but we were just as involved in it as he was and actually telling him how certain things should be done. None-the-less we got it going the day of the move which was on Friday Sept 19th. Everything went smooth. My workstation guys and mover did a midnight move and I came in in the morning just to check to make sure all the login were ok.

Another project under my belt signed sealed and delivered.

No comments: