Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Data center move

Oh yes I have to move my data center down to our new office. Our new room is finally of professional grade. We have rows of racks for server and another row just for network gear. We have real dedicated AC units three of them in an N+1 redundancy configuration. We have a real central UPS. No more of those rack based bottom crap. God I hate those. Dedicated power and cooling for my room. I even have a big red button to shut down the entire room :D

Before the move I've got a few things that I'm trying to get done.

1. upgrade my SAN

2. move 5TB of data to the new DAE

3. consolidate as many servers as I can with VMware. I should be able to shave off 14 physical servers and make them VM's

4. install new PRI lines for our VoIP system (ordered)

5. install 10mb to the internet (ordered)

6. get with our data integrators and be the quarterback.

My plan for that weekend will be to have the movers pack up everything that we are taking and move them to the new office. Once there I'll get on the phone (cell) with Verizon to transfer our DID's over to the new PRI's. Then get the phone system up and tested. Move our IP's to the new routers so our DNS entries should not change (I'll have to confirm this). Get our SAN online and exchange cluster up and running. Then our file servers and VMware cluster. Should be easy right? :D

So when am I going to do all of this? I was planning on getting it done before Dec 22 but since I'm going on vacation I don't want anyone calling me while I'm in Jamaica. Plus I doubt that the 5TB of data will be copied by then. So I'm shooting for some time in January. I should we well rested.

No comments: