Friday, March 16, 2007

VMware consolidation project

As I am starting my installation for my Exchange cluster project at the same time I am thinking about future projects. What came to mind was to consolidate five servers into one VMware box. Sounds easy enought but I have questions that I am uncertain about. We have;

Intranet server
OWA server
file server (Lib)
file server (home directorys)
file server (img)

I wan't my IIS servers to pull their data from my SAN (separate LUNS). I want my File server (lib) to pull from the SAN also (separate LUN) that's the easy part. The other two server File server (home directory) and (img) I'd like them to pull data from an XServeRAID. Being that the XServeRAID is not a SAN (in our environment) I cannot give them their own LUNS. They would be sharing the same volume if I set it up in it's current state and that is not good practice. So I'd ether have to put one or the other on the SAN. Anyway the real question is if I have these five servers on one physical box with four HBA's (2 to the SAN and 2 to the XServeRAID). How would five servers share four HBA's using VMware? Are virtual HBA's setup? I'll have to find out the answer to that.

VMware vendors don't call me, I'll call you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a VMware vendor, but I do work for VMware, so I hope it's ok to say hi. Drop by the VMTN Forums, and they should be able to give you both best practices and gotchas to watch out for.

Nocturnalis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nocturnalis said...

Thanks John I'll definitely check the forums out.