Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Job is relocating

My job is moving a couple a blocks. From an old historic building to another old build in NYC. At least this new old building is a lot better.

My responsibility as the MIS is move or build a new IT infrastructure. I think we are going to do a little bit of both. The problem is is that we are not all moving in at once. We are moving at about 100 a time over a 2 year period. So that means I can't just pull up the infrastructure in one location and move it over a weekend. There can't be any downtime (you think this was a financial firm). So I tasked with setting up two networks that will talk to each other so when people move from the old office to the new office everything works exactly the same. Here is what is involved on the IT side of things to get this to work.

- A solid WAN connection
- WAN accelerators Riverbed devices
- Cisco IPT phone system
- SAN and VMware
- Switches for new space
- lots of cabling
- security
- A/V
- Wireless
- new workstations
- metro card

This is pretty much the basics. We have all of this stuff now but we may need to get a second of everything. The bottom line is that there can be ZERO downtime. I think this will be a piece of cake. My boss the Director of IT seems to be stressing a bit. Hey you can only play the cards you are dealt.

No comments: