Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Vmotion with RDM problem

So I've run into a bit of a snag with Vmotion. So to do Vmotion it's best to have a VMDK partition shared amongst both ESX host. In the perfect world this would be the case but we're not in a perfect work and some of us can't convert/migrate to a VMDK partition. What I mean by this and this is based on my situation. I can convert servers without much problems into a VMDK partition but what about the data the server serves up. Remember my 3.14 TB migration that is no a 8TB partition that took 2 months. How long would VMware converter take to convert that data and move to a VMDK partition of equal size if I had one? Or if I try to convert the data partition from the ESX host by adding storage it would format my 8TB and that would be BAD.

So with all that in mind there is another option with a BUT that allows me to add the existing partition as an RDM (raw device mapping). I make sure to share the LUN with both ESX host. I add it to my VM through the edit option and it shows up no problem. Remember that BUT? Well you can't Vmotion the RDM b/c it thinks it's not shared with the other host, even though it is.

So I have a call in with HP/Vmware to help resolve this issue. I'll post back with my findings.

No comments: