Monday, February 09, 2009

Vmotion with RDM problem solved!

I've finally figured it out and in doing so I've discovered some other potential problems. First the solution to not being able to move a VM from ESX host to ESX host even though the LUN's are shared to both host within Navisphere. It turns out that I needed to have both of my hosts in the same storage group on the Navi side. I had them in their own groups. Once I moved all the VM over to one host the and made sure the all LUN's were visible to the second host and added the ESX host with no VM to the storage group on the other host. Then I renamed the storage group in Navi to something that represents whats going on.

The reason for this is b/c although VMotion was working with all the other LUN's RDM's are a bit different. When adding a LUN to a an ESX server they read the same LUN ID this isn't the case with RDM's. RDM's get a LUN ID of whatever is the next number within ESX. For VMotion to work the everything has to match up on both ESX hosts. In my case with RDM's the LUN ID's on the ESX host were never the same. Now with the change on the Navi side all my LUN's have the same ID within ESX.

Now I can move all my VM's back and forth instead on the just the ones that were VMDK's.

The other potential problem that I found was that four of my initiator names were pointing to the wrong server host name within Navi under connectivity status. All of my servers should have four initiators and one had eight. The initiators are the WWN names that come from the HBA's in the servers. One of my ESX host wasn't showing up properly. There was no real problem but I caught that before it became one.

No comments: