Wednesday, February 04, 2009

My first day back from vaction and problems...

After my vaction was over I was well rested and stress free. I get to work Monday morning Jan 5th and that's when it starts. My exchange cluster starts to freak out for a bit. I investigate what going on and powerpath is telling that a connection to the SAn is lost. WTF!!!! Now I frantic b/c I just got back and I'm grilling everyone to see if anything went on while I was away (I stayed here BTW www.rayonhotels.com). Everything was quiet I was told and I already knew that b/c I was checking in via SSL VPN. I went in Navi and I saw errors and the email home was going off. I checked the error and it was and SFP error. Now this could be real simple and real bad. Then guess what the errors go away and I check the SFP's and they are fine nice and snug in there.

I come in Tuesday morning and it's happening all over again. This time the transmittance is more frequent dropping Outlook connections to the server all day long. I put a call into Dell right away and to my surprise they didn't have my service tag updated on file so they couldn't find my SAN in their system. WHAT are you F***ing serious? WTF is going on? So I call my account rep and ask him that the deal is. He said we'd see whats going on. At this time my rebooting my exchange cluster to reestablis connection and trying to make sense of this thing.

After 2 hours they finally got their act together and updated their system. Sign of the times over at Dell huh? Anyhow they are dispatching parts and they should come by 11am and a tech should call me shortly after. I get the parts at 11am but no call from tech. There are two boxes. Now from my knowledge an SFP is the size of a thumb. I did get a small box and I also got a much larger box. Now I'm think WTF and open it. it's a storage processor. Why the ef would I need this? And this is what I mean this could be real simple or real bad. I send emails to these people working on this case. I get replies saying I should hear from someone soon. I get a call from the Technical account manager saying the tech should be here by 1pm EST. 1 pm EST rolls by and no call or no one. I send more emails and they keep send me ETA that can't keep. It's now going on 3 pm and still no one. I get a call from my reps and we are on a conference call. Since this is saying it's an SFP I know I can change that myself and ask if this is a good idea. They say if I feel comfortable do so. Great som much for gold support right? I end up changing the DAMN thing and immediately the errors in Navi are gone and everything is back to normal.

After all that, after all of that I get a call from a tech saying he's at another site and can come over and that he just got the call. Hmmmmm..... what happened to all those ETS's? I told him don't bother and changed the SFP myself. Now what if that wasn't the problem and what if the port itself was bad. I wasn't going to try to change a storage processor myself. I mean if push came to shove they could walk me through it but WTF is up with my gold support?

No comments: