Wednesday, May 16, 2007

VMware and EMC news

I was back to focusing on some VMware last week and found that the VM's that I created were not showing up anymore. Hmm wonder why that is all of a sudden. I checked the zoning and it was all right, I checked the fiber cables they were lit. I even went as far as swapping the connection on the HBA's that didn't work as my paths the the storage under storage adapter in the VMware Infrastructure Client vanished. So I out it back. I then went into Navisphere to see if the host was showing up and it wasn't. Not even the IP was coming up. WTH! I then start browsing around the VMware forums and did a search for Clarion and ESX. I didn't find anything concrete. I'm not a member of the forum yet either so I didn't bother asking a question. I figured that this was basic and was probably asking to some degree in the past.

Anyway the problem was that this server was originally a windows 2003 server with all the emc software (SAN surfer and powerpath) installed so when the server was on it registered with CX300 automatically. So under the host tab in Navishpere the server would be right there and you can assign LUNs and away you go. Since the ESX server I didn't have the software installed it wasn't showing up in navi. I was rattling my brain trying to get this working again b/c it worked before. The VMware forums lead me to a post where a guy mentioned just adding the WWN of the server to navi and thats it. But it didn't mention exactly how. So this is where I figured out what was going on. was right clicking on everything in navi trying to find where to add a host or WWN name. I finally came across connectivity Status window. Here is where all the host and WWN names are associated. I noticed that the names (it was renamed two times) of what this server was as a windows 2003 box was still in there and associating itself with the WWN's of the HBA's. Being that the new ESX host did not have the updating software the CX300 didn't know about this server even while zoning was still in place and the hardware was the same. So I had to deregister the WWN name from all the old host names and register the WWN name to the new host which is the ESX server and new IP. Then everything started to work.

That took about a day to figure out but it felt good figuring it out none-the-less. So if anyone runs into this sort of thing who is not a VMware/EMC expert check the Connectivity Status from right clicking the Storage System in Navishpere to make sure your connection are all up to date and old connection aren't lingering around.

No comments: